the Riot ends in June..

Thursday, August 21

Santogold

About time people started appreciating a true independent. Born in Philly, currently housed in Brookyln, Santi White's moniker Santogold has been touring relentlessly in Europe this summer (including losing her voice and cancelling dates several times in the process.) Also known for her bad outfits and direct sense of humour, it is her voice and live performances that have been solidifying her success. Her self-titled debut album released to acclaim in April following months of leaks of unmastered and incomplete tracks.

A great track complete with video:

Santogold - L.E.S Artistes


“They have this stupid alternate-side parking rule, so four days a week I have to get up at 8:45 AM and find another parking spot,” groans White, as she lounges wearily on a hotel couch. “So I roll out with a scarf, huge glasses, the worst random outfit, seriously whatever’s on my floor, then I go outside and move my car. No-one used to care, they’d be like, ‘Oh, it’s just another crackhead.’ But lately I’ve been hearing stuff like, ‘Oh, my friend says he’s your neighbor.’ I mean, I have a neighbor? So they’ve been watching me do this and thinking, ‘There goes Santogold,’ every morning.”
URB - Santogold: Silver & Gold :: The ups and downs of bad outfits and worse parking spots

Explicit genre bending proves Santogold is more than a voice behind a good beat. She is an artist capable of adapting and approaching many areas. And still, working with good friends Diplo and Switch, her good beats are not far to find.

Santogold - Debut Album

No comments: