the Riot ends in June..

Saturday, May 16

State of House Laurent Garnier's good words against hipster House

On the campaign trail for his brand new album, Tales Of A Kleptomaniac, respected French techno producer, DJ and label kingpin Laurent Garnier has spoken about his dislike for the brash and boisterous style of his countrymen at bleeding edge label Ed Banger.

In an interview with Resident Advisor Garnier was in no mood to bite his tongue, clearly unimpressed with the over-the-top attitude of Busy P and his posse. “There’s one thing that really has changed in the music scene and that’s the way we exist,” said Garnier, when asked for his thoughts on the current scene. “15 years ago, we fought for our music. We didn’t care about having our pictures taken, or being in magazines. Some people did, but it was not the done thing – it was all about being faceless, letting the music do the talking. That was one of the great things about techno music. Now it’s all about what I look like, who I am, how I dress, how rock and roll I am and how stupid I can be.”

As the founding father of the seminal – but now-defunct – record label F-Communications, Garnier helped to launch the career of Mr Oizo, who ironically is now at home amongst the Ed Banger stable of artists. “A lot of the new guys now, we wouldn’t have signed them to F-Communications, because it’s not our thing,” he continued. “Musically it doesn’t excite us at all. Some of them I like – I’m not saying it’s all crap – but a lot of it just doesn’t talk to me. I feel a lot of it is marketing more than anything else. This is why I feel dubstep is more exciting, because I feel those guys are making it for the right reasons.”


Taxed from In The Mix.

No comments: