the Riot ends in June..

Thursday, June 4

The Crystal Method - June 3 - The Whiskey Nightclub, Calgary, Canada REVIEW

Much anticipation between my roommate and myself for this show. Months in advance I clipped the 4x6 black-and-white ad out of the paper and posted it on the refrigerator (which I later traded up for a full poster-flier I clipped from an event-post in my 'hood). So the date and event were set, but the experience had just begun.

Fans of the Acid-Breaks and the Big Beat style of their older material, it was a shocking pleasure to hear the new album Divided by Night. Produced exceptionally, the album features a defining approach to modern Electronica. Experimentation, distortion, but a solid grasp in collecting the perfect songs and elements to make up the album.

Artists and elites including Metric's Emily Haines, American Folk artist Meiko, and Peter Hook of New Order appear on the album. The collaborations are poignant to the expressive mood the album takes. Unlike the previous album Vegas, but similar in the progressive nature of the tunes, the atmosphere created by the soft-tone of many of the tracks was a matured approach from within the duo's skills. And this is what shocked me - how could we dance to down-tempo, soft-vocal productions?

Make the show LIVE.

The Whiskey Nightclub was a perfect performing venue for the American pair. The stage was central in the club and took the band's equipment nicely. Large screens for video and a fantastic light rack brought the audience in. The layout of the club itself was essential to my enjoyment - no queue's at the many bars, room to walk around, but just packed enough to get the full-on effect of a mid-week party. The place was packed, the floor filled, and the speaker cabinets more than capable. In essence - as perfect a set-up as could be had.

Since this is not a review of the album, which is mighty great and continues to evolve an appreciation inside me, I will post the pictures of the night:


The many strobes gave the show rock-star appeal



The crowd was livin' it!



Performing live took talent, which was plenty from the guys.



They THREW DOWN and we loved it!



Huge screens and stunning effects played throughout the show.





Scott Kirkland - who'd I'd eventually meet and shake hands with!



Ken Jordan raising a glass.



And then the video which I tried to get the crowd, the band, and the sound in. Unfortunately, even plugging my microphone with my fingers didn't allow for a good sound-recording. The video is alright though:


The show was fantastic! A great night, better performance, and even better production. Cheers!

-G

No comments: